Vegan Street Tacos with Chimichurri Sauce
Take a walk on the wild side with these fun and flavorful vegan tacos filled with seitan, the high protein wheat-gluten, that can take on the texture and flavor of meat. Top with a zesty Argentinian chimichurri sauce and experience vegan fusion cuisine at its finest. And, YES! Vegan Mexican Food is a Thing… Serve warm and enjoy!Recipe Courtesy of Mark Reinfeld – The Doctor & The ChefPrint Pin Rate
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil or 3 tablespoons water
- 8 oz seitan, beef style, chopped or crumbled, liquid reserved
- 4 large corn tortillas or 8 small
- 1 cup baby arugula
- ½ cup cherry tomato thinly sliced
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream store-bought or homemade
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds optionally toasted
- ½-¾ CUP olive oil
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro finely chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 tbsp shallots diced
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1½ tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- Create the chimichurri sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisking well. You can also place the ingredients in a blender and blend.
- Prepare the rest of the fixings. You can optionally warm the tortillas by heating in a dry saute pan.
- Place a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the seitan and cook for 5 minutes, or according to package instructions, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat.
- Assemble your tacos. Place the tortillas on a plate. Add arugula, top with heated seitan. Drizzle with chimichurri sauce. Top with cherry tomatoes, a dollop of vegan sour cream and a few pumpkin seeds before serving.
To make your own homemade vegan sour cream combine ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice in a bowl and whisk well.